It’s almost the holidays, which for many means a family feast.
Big meals followed by tasty desserts! But for those that are vegetarian or gluten free, sometimes options can be limited, especially if you are the only one in the family following that diet.
But just because you’re vegetarian or gluten free, doesn’t mean you should miss out on the yummy desserts the holidays have to offer!
A holiday staple in many homes is Pumpkin Pie.
BUT not to worry! There are ways to make this delicious holiday pie suitable for any diet restriction!
Besides, what would this time of year be without Pumpkin Pie? Now you can make a Pumpkin Pie your whole family can enjoy!
So let’s get started.
First, here is a list of the ingredients you will need. And of course, feel free to substitute whenever you wish to.
Let’s start with the Pie Crust– now you can also buy a crust at any supermarket but you will just need to watch the ingredients to find a gluten free one. So we always recommend one from scratch to ensure it is fully gluten free!
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free flour
- 2 tablespoon cane sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter (can also use a dairy free butter if you wish to make it vegan!)
- 4 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 2 ¼ cups pure pumpkin purée (get creative and mash your own, or buy any supermarket version in a can)
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Now this part is optional: Whipped Topping for Serving- Non Dairy options available as well if making it Vegan dessert.
Now onto the preparing and the best part- the baking!
- Sift together flour blend, sugar and salt. Add butter. Using a pastry cutter, combine ingredients and butter pieces (ensuring they are less than pea-size)
- Pour in the cold water and vinegar. Continue to blend until dough comes together- add an additional tbsp of water if required.
- Pat dough into a round disc or pan, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for an hour or until you are ready to bake.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Place your dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap and then top it with another piece of plastic wrap. Roll the dough out into a 13-inch round with a rolling pin.
- Remove the plastic wrap from top and place the pie pan upside-down onto the dough. Carefully flip the pie pan, along with the dough. Remove the remaining piece of plastic wrap and press the dough into the pie pan, press together any cracks and crimp edges (feel free to add a design or make it as fancy as you want!)
- To make the pie filling, add all pumpkin pie filling ingredients to a blender. Blend it on medium-high until smooth and well blended-approx 1 minute.
- Pour filling into the pie crust. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the center is just about set Note: it will set completely as it cools. Allow pie to cool on a cooling rack for 1 hour.
- Place pie in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight, to chill completely. To serve, slice and top with whipped topping, and of course- ENJOY!